03 May 2006

It's a Bird!

To the film buff, a person’s favorite movie can often define exactly what kind of person they are. Those who list The Godfather tend to be practical and business-oriented, Star Wars fans are usually dreamers, and anyone who says The Notebook is a freakin’ moron. But no matter what your pick is, the wonderful thing is that it can change with time. It’s indicative of our nature as humans that our personal number-ones can shift and change as we do.

That’s why I’m really glad my favorite movie is no longer Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

I was four, it had Superman, and it was much shorter than the other two movies (no, I don’t count Superman III; even back then I knew it sucked). Still, that’s no excuse, and the battle for pole position quickly raged between The Empire Strikes Back, Blade Runner and The Commitments. The Man of Steel continued to hold a place in my heart despite my dismissal of his ridiculous fourth installment, and I followed all the attempts to reboot the franchise with great interest. I cursed the destruction of the Burton-Smith interpretation of the Doomsday plotline, and breathed a great sigh of relief when JJ Abrams’ cinematic abortion blew up on the tarmac. John Williams’ “Superman March” gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

And that’s why this is perfect. The first teaser was obviously for the fans, setting up the various symbols and interpolating a piece of Williams’ old score which only die-hard devotees would recognize. Today’s offering is a ridiculous cornucopia of shots that would make the kid audiences of yesteryear’s blockbusters drool. Looking for matte lines around Superman while in-flight? CGI blurring? Bad compositing? It ain’t there! Each and every effect shot looks flawless, and they’ve still got another two months to work on them. Oh, and the actors ain’t too shabby either. Singer pulled a major coup getting Kevin Spacey to take over for Gene Hackman.

The trailer speaks for itself. Can’t wait for June 30th, and probably the seven or eight times I’ll run back to the theater to see it again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its so hard to really just name one favorite movie, I can never do it. Superman does look amazingly awesome, except for Bosworth as Lois Lane she is kind of weak.

Anonymous said...

My favorite movie is The Godfather. I guess that makes me practical and business oriented.

I can't wait for June 30th either man. I guess I'll see you in the theater lines.

Anonymous said...

i've still yet to see what makes Returns worth its 250 million price tag. and actually now i'm thinking it's not nearly gay enough... this is like the fantastic four's problem... i don't brag about our friend banging bryan singer only to have him not totally gay up superman like it was meant to be!

arv

Anonymous said...

The Notebook was godawful. I decided to fastforward through that retarded dancing-in-the-street scene and I actually laughed out loud at how ridiculously long it was...terrible.

Anonymous said...

"and anyone who says The Notebook is a freakin’ moron." con.cur.

Blade Runner, ACO, Rebecca, Bond, ESB, Empire OTS, Godfather ... quite a mix for me there. But I've always loved the social hierarchies present in most of those films, where there's a definite barking order, but not made up from wealth or power or looks, but decided by each person's survival instict and personal ability to reach the top. Just look at Basie, Vito, Tyrell ... whatever their end goals, they made their worth; they earned it without cheapening themselves or bowing to anyone's whims, and with their own brand of class. (It's no secret, I want to be Vito.)

I guess I am cut out for the business afterall ;)