26 July 2006

Do not forsake me, oh my darlin'

“I had friends who worked for old man Hess. They say it stood for Holidays, Evenings, Saturdays, and Sundays. That’s what you have to look forward to if you run your own business.”

Picture, if you will, a fat kid with a wicked stutter sitting in front of a telecast of Star Trek: The Next Generation sometime during the late 1980s. The images captivate him, as he is not yet old enough to notice the matte lines, and Jonathan Frakes represents the high-water mark of rugged manliness that the child has witnessed. Sometime during this episode, the fat kid gets it into his mind that hanging around in pajamas and pretending to shoot things with lasers would be a pretty good gig.

It takes him an entire commercial break to form the sentence: “I want to be in pictures when I grow up.” It takes him over a decade to do something about it.

The little steps he takes gang up on him, and then he suddenly finds himself sitting behind a desk and running his own company.

. . .Funny how that works.

Ladies and gentlemen, Film Elder Productions is open for business! For the past week I’ve been doing backflips; it feels so odd to have my greatest goal realized. But for now, J.D. Dempsey and I will raise a glass to our new endeavor, and hope for the best outcome possible.

Cheers.

No comments: